Philly Cheesesteak Eggrolls with Better Than “Cheez Whiz” Dipping Sauce
–one of my favorite party pickup/appetizer items are eggrolls, and this East meets West combo is especially yummy.
• 2½ cups chip steak
• ⅔ cup sweet onion, minced
• salt and pepper
• Oil, for sautéing and frying
• Egg roll wrappers, refrigerated
• 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
1. Cut steak into very thin ribbons (easily done when meat is partially frozen). Drizzle a little oil in a frying pan, sauté onions over med-high heat until they start to soften then add the steak. After a minute turn heat on low and continue to cook until meat is fork tender. Remove from heat and season,to taste, with salt and pepper.
2. Pour oil into a deep fry pan (at least 1 inch high) and heat to 375 degrees.
3. Place a 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of the filling onto an egg roll wrapper and roll up according to the instructions on package. (brush seams with egg whites helps them hold together a little better than just water)
4. With tongs, gently place uncooked rolls into the hot oil and fry for a couple minutes on each side, until the roll turns a golden brown.
5. Let cool on paper towels.
6. Slice each egg roll diagonally, lengthwise and serve each person 4 egg roll halves with individual bowls “Better Than Whiz Sauce” and Heinz Ketchup
“Better Than Cheese Whiz” Dipping Sauce
8 slices or 1 cup American Cheese (Boars Head makes one of the best; or if lucky enough to live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the USA, Cooper Sharp CV, a delicious flavored American Cheese)
2 TBSP milk
Break/Chop up the cheese and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add the milk. Microwave for about 3o seconds to a minute Stirring every 15 seconds until melted.